Saturday, February 16, 2008

Better be safe than sorry


Here are some pearls of wisdom for young ladies on the brink of matrimony.
Before tying the knot, ask yourselves the following questions.

• Are we really on the same wavelength?
• Are our values in sync with each others?
• Are both of us aware of each other’s financial status?
• Are we prepared to make compromises during the initial teething phase?
• Would he be cool with my desire to work after marriage/kids?
• Can he put up with my relatives and can I put up with his?
• Have we discussed our own and our family health histories?
• Have we discussed whether we want kids and if so how many and how we want to raise them?
• Do I know how he’ll feel if I keep my last name?
• If I had problems with his parents, would he stand up for me or would I have to fight for myself?
• Do we plan on having separate bank accounts or creating one that we will share?
• Do I feel comfortable marrying into his social circle and he into mine?
• Do we have similar ideas on what quality leisure time is and how our vacations should be spent?
• Does he take responsibility for his mistakes or does he just stonewall me?
• Is my commitment strong enough for me to still be with him say fifty years from now?

If your answers convince you that everything is hunky dory, go right ahead and take the plunge, if not, then you have to give your relationship a serious rethink for it is always better to be safe than to be sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahaaa! Never thought of these when I jumped into holy matrimony! No wonder they say 'marry in haste, repent in leisure'.

However, I feel when you are in love and young you powers of objectivity vanish. If some sensible elder raises these questions, the young and restless talk of compromises. Love and objectivity seldom go together. Only when the inital love and exhilaration wear off, objectivity comes in and that is when you wake up with the feeling of being trapped.

But yes, a great check list for the young AND the sensible.

Anonymous said...

ooh la la!!!!
is mommy trying to say something??????
got it LOUD & CLEAR!!!! LOL!!! :)
chill madi!!!!!!!

indimom