Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Beginning

I’m a stay-at-home Mom of two marvellous teenaged kids who are now old enough not to need me mothering them all the time. With a husband who is so caught up with his work and is away from home on his frequent business trips, I have all the time in the world to indulge in the luxury of my childhood pastime of being cocooned in the quiet ecstasy of my dreamy abstractions.

‘Day-dreamer’ and ‘Alice in Wonderland’ were epithets that I had earned as a little girl. Although now I am on the wrong side of forty, I still am an inveterate thinker and am deeply moved by things happening around me. Politics, religion, reading, surfing the net, sports and fitness, travelling, cookery, parenting, health, environment, music and movies, home and gardening, computers, gadgets and gizmos…. just about everything catches my fancy.I had always wanted to pen my musings to share them with everyone but didn’t quite know how to or where to make a beginning.

It was only yesterday, as we were relaxing after dinner that my children hit upon the idea that I start blogging. “BLOGGING? You’ve got to be joking!” I exclaimed nervously. I for one hadn’t done a jot of creative writing ever since I graduated from High school and that seemed like centuries ago. However, backed by encouragement from my dear, supportive husband and coupled by the enthusiastic cheers of the kids, I got down to the task. Thus was born ‘Panoramic Reflections’.

I’m pretty excited about this new venture of mine and eager to set the pages rolling!
Folks, Wish me luck since I’ve never done anything like this before.
Ciao…Until next time.




7 comments:

honestinjun said...

What a lovely beginning! Welcome to the world of blogging..

Being a thinking woman myself, I wanted to ask you one thing--we have mother's day, father's day, Valentine's Day, grandparents' day even a teddy bear day. Indians have rakhi where brothers are feted, fed and literally worshipped. But ever thought why we don't have a sister's day--Think about it!!!

MUSER said...

In the Western world there does exist the concept of Sister's Day which is celebrated on the 1st Sunday of August. Unfortunately India has no such special day for sisters. Sad, isn't it?
Sisterhood has many important dimensions. I have three other sisters and they all rock! Our very existence in this world is a celebration in itself and I'm truly blessed by their friendship and support.

honestinjun said...

Thanks for the update. Ignoramus that I am, was not aware of this. Possibly because there are not cards, balloons and shops lit up to celebrate the day. The concept cannot perhaps be changed into a great marketing gimmick like the other days....Even wondered why?

Here's what I think. Sisterhood has always been associated with several negatives. Jealousy, competition, comparisons have always been associated between sisters. Sibling rivalry at its best!

Perhaps this has something to do with the way women are looked at in general. A dog is always faithful, but a bitch is exactly that--a bitch! Cats are always meant to be female--felinity and cattiness are always female attributes.

Unfortunately there are women who add to this stereotype. In the real world sisters do compete and compare, their relationships after marriage depends on how well their husbands bond with each other. But this is true between brothers too. But whatever the case, we must teach our daughters to love and feel for each other, no matter what--to keep sisterly bonding strong and unaffected by income, looks, husbands. What do you think?

MUSER said...

Hey, Have you forgotten that girls are made of sugar n spice n all things nice?
Yes, marketing the concept of Sister's Day in India could be a huge success.Kudos to you to think that one out!
Regarding the negative aspects of sisterhood as mentioned by you, I beg to differ. That is not always the case. At the end of the day ... blood is thicker than water, you know. All acrimony fades into the background when it comes to helping out a sibling in need whether it is a sister or a brother if the family bonding is strong enough. We as mothers can definitely do a lot to strengthen familial ties.

Anonymous said...

hey!!!! ur blog is amazing!
cute, comfortable, warm & cosy!!!!!! feels like home! ;)
love you forever ma!

MUSER said...

Love you too, baby.
Take care.
Muah.

honestinjun said...

Ok ok lets agree to disagree. But you should take off your rose-tinted spectacles (Raybans?) once in a while!

The last few days I have been listening to a little bit of music. Oldie hits like old summer wine, where do you go to my lovely and Lara's Theme. Real soul soothers. Dont make them like that any more. You seem like someone hooked onto the old world charm. You may like them!

indimom