Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My daughter turns twenty today


Today is my lovely daughter's twentieth birthday.

I remember the day she was born, like it was only yesterday. My life changed magically the very moment she came into this world. I became the proud mother of my ‘first-born’. She gave me a new life as I brought her to one. When I think about that day, what I remember most vividly is how she looked and what she did during her first moments of life. She was so healthy looking; chubby pink cheeks, a round head of soft brown hair, dark jewel-like eyes and fingers already grasping for a hold. She opened her eyes and looked straight into mine. I have no idea if she could focus yet, but I prefer to think that I was her first image on earth. She was the most beautiful baby in the whole universe and as my equally wondrous husband gently placed her in my arms, I remember myself crooning and whispering the words ‘my little princess’ softly into her little shell-like ear.

The rigours of adolescence and the pressures that all teens go through have not changed her one bit. She is the most beautiful, calm, God-fearing, talented, gentle and compassionate girl I have ever known. Her independent spirit, her eagerness to take challenges, her work ethics, and her willingness to accept people for who they are makes me, on this day especially, an exceptionally proud mother.

Now as she crosses the threshold into womanhood, I know that in a few years time she will get married and leave us to start a new home of her own; till then, I will continue to savour our special mother-daughter bonding, enjoy our shopping sprees, our cooking sessions, watch her pirouetting in her new outfits like a fashion model, willingly be subjected to her motherly fussing when I’m ill, catch a movie together or the times we would just loll around chatting and gossiping about all and sundry. When she was much younger, she used to refer to these as ‘girl-girl things’ as opposed to the 'boy-boy' activities that her father and brother indulged in. These priceless moments were our 'special quality times' together which I will hold close to my heart all my life.

Dearest daughter….I want you to know that I’ll always cherish the wonder and joy of watching you grow into a beautiful young lady. I am and shall always be proud to announce to the world “This is my lovely daughter”. Thank you for bringing joy to our lives in so many different ways.

Happy birthday sweetheart. Make the most of your twenties for these are the most beautiful years in a woman’s life.
God bless you.

7 comments:

honestinjun said...

Mmmm, I can almost smell the baby--baby cream, baby powder, rubber sheet---yummy yummy baby smell, the best smell in the world! Pity it cannot be bottled and preserved forever.

Lovely piece on a special daughter! Believe me, the mother-daughter bonding never changes. The relationship remains alive long after the daughter is married. You will still be into your quality time activities even after she becomes a mother. And her daughters will watch with pleasure the bonding their mom has with hers!

Incidentally, it was my birthday too on Dec 4 and I found myself consciously wanting to spend more time with the wonderful woman who gave birth to me. I allowed her to pamper me--she took me out shopping and cooked my favourite dish. In her twilight years, I gave her a chance to be a doting parent, a role she seldom gets to play these days. For my two daughters this was a novelty which they loved. My husband was sweet and understanding and let me give her more time on my birthday than any other day.

What saddened me was the thought whether I would be be able to see her this happy and active in my next birthday. I only pray to God to give her a long and healthy life.

So happy birthday to all the super girls born on December 4 and congratulations to the wonderful women who gave birth to them!!

Anonymous said...

hey mama,
those were most definitely the most beautiful things anyone's ever said abt me!!!!! muah! love u loads!
my bday was the best! absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! missed you guys a LOT! but my frenz went outta their way to make it special!!!!
THE PERFECT DAY!
wish u were there though! my frenz even got me chocolate mousse cake cuz they know its my favourite & its wat u always get me!!! :)
oh gosh mama!!! u've got me all mushy & senti after that post of urs!!!!!! **blush blush** ;)
LOVE U FOREVER!

MUSER said...

Hi Baby,
I'm glad you had a great birthday.Missed you a lot.You are really blessed to have such good friends.
I'm also glad you liked the post.
Love you forever too.
Mama

MUSER said...

Dear Honestinjun,
Thanks for congratulating me on being the super mom of a Dec 4th born. After reading your comment, for some unfathomable reason, a chord tugged somewhere in my heart and I felt a undefinable closeness towards your Mom. Is it because both our daughters share a birthday or is it something deeper than that? Somehow she reminds me of my Mom who like yours is a very very special person.
It was heartening to know that you share as much a close bonding with her now, as a mother of two, as you did when you were a child.
You seem to be a busy jet-setting person, so its really awesome of you to care for all her needs, especially her emotional ones. She must be one hell of a lucky Mom to have such an understanding daughter like you. God bless you. May your Mom have a healthy and happy future.
Btw, here's wishing you a very happy belated birthday. Both of you and your family are in my prayers. Hoping to hear from you soon.

honestinjun said...

Thanks for your response. Very heartwarming. I am sure you too will find time in the future to spend with your mom.

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet this poised well balanced young lady who any mother would be proud of. Happy Birthday to the lovely lady.

MUSER said...

I hope God gives me the oppurtunity soon to have my mother with me.

indimom