Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ginger bread house- My stress buster

Strange how sometimes the most innocuous of things can help relieve you of your stress.

Last month, I helped my niece and her friends in making a gingerbread house. Boy! did they have fun?
It was delightful watching the pure joy of the kids as they designed and assembled the house, set up the roof and then decorated the whole thing with candy ornaments.
It was a very messy affair though and the little ones had a hard time not licking the 'glue' which was made of flavoured icing! The house reverberated with their laughter and their excitement was certainly infectious ... I felt a strange kind of exhilaration and joy that I hadn't felt in a long, long time.
The end result was very pretty, colourful and eyecatching and I marvelled at the creativity of these little seven year olds. My niece looked as pleased as punch and proudly showed off her creation to her parents and elder sis.
I felt so light hearted after this and realised that my stress had just miraculously faded away.
On her next birthday, I'm planning to get her a three tiered cake covered with hot pink icing and give her all the paraphernalia required to decorate it so that she and her gang can doll it up to their heart's content.
Wouldn't that be just lovely?
This is what their gingerbread house looked like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your niece reminds me of my rambunctious yet very artistic niece Zaira. I feel so relaxed when I'm with her; it is as though her joi-de-verve rubs off on me.

Anonymous said...

7-year-olds can be real busybodies. I am the mom of one and believe me, she is more than a handful. She has an uncanny recollection of recipes on food shows on TV and she implements them (through her elder sister) with a surgeon's precision. Her favourite pasttime is to watch my mom marinate meat and roll them into balls for koftas and kebabs or stuff cauliflower/potato/radish mashes inside parathas, which I am sure she knows by heart.

Chickoo said...

The gingerbread house looks lovely!! I will probably use this idea to engage my daughter.

MUSER said...

@mongoosemum-I'm sure your little one will soon be presenting shows in'khana khazana' or 'food network'

@chickoo-Thanks. I see you havn't heralded in the New Year in your blog.Do add something new. Its nice to read stuuff from a fellow Bangalorean.

indimom