Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mithais anyone?



I guess, we Indians are a pretty resilient lot and can survive in any condition..
Living in Canada, at a place which is very far away from that part of the town where most South Asians live and where you can find a couple of Indian sweet shops, selling exhorbitantly priced sweets, one does pine for our delectable Indian ‘mithais’. Well, necessity is the mother of invention, you know. When the urge to sample our sweets gets the better of me, I just browse through the net and inevitably find some beautiful site which gives me a blow by blow account of how to go about making these objects of my desire. Yesterday I made a batch of the most divine gulab jamuns on earth and along with that went my New Year resolution. Believe me, they were awesome and no one would have guessed that it was my first shot at making them. I tell you, I'm turning out to be quite a Cordon Bleau ‘halwai’ and may very soon open a ‘halwai ki dukan’ of my own! Then poor ‘Desis’ like me won’t have to go haring across to the other end of the town to satisfy their sweet cravings!
Have to let you on to a little secret; I've also learnt to make the most scrumptious samosas and chat. Isn't that just cool?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ma!!!
amazing!
now even i wanna eat Gulab Jamuns....u made my mouth water!!!! gonna run off to the corner mithai shop to get some!!!! wish i cud send u some!!!!

MUSER said...

Thanks beti. Happy Republic Day. Celebrate with GJs.

Anonymous said...

hey wats this????
writer's block!!!
rather blogger's block???
looking fwd to ur nxt post!

MUSER said...

The brutal cold Canadian winter of -49C had brought my thought process to a standstill.Things are better now and the earth seems to have thawed a bit for the time being, before the next snow-storm shoves everything back into the freezer.
Ah! yes, Congratulations on your first successful extraction. I'm so proud of my lil "TOOTH FAIRY".Keep it up.

MUSER said...

Remember how your wicked little brother knocked loose your two front pearly whites with his toy gun?
You were bawling and looked so comical... a bit like 'Big Ethel' of Archies! I had a tough time keeping a straight face.The devil wasn't the least bit remorseful and was looking straight into my eye to fathom whether I was really angry or was putting on an act of remonstrating him!You poor baby. Who would've thought you'd become a 'Tooth Fairy' one day.Mwaah!

Anonymous said...

Tooth Fairy!!!!
gosh!!! im sure my patients wudnt be calling me that!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

oh!!! how can i forget ma!!!
it was awful!!! he'd jst shoved that toy gun in my mouth & he looked so triumphant once the teeth popped out!!!
it was AWFUL!!!! :( :( :(

Anonymous said...

My bro seems to hav done his 1st TWO extractions at the age of 3!!!! dear God!!!! ;) ;) ;)

indimom